About Carter Lumber
Headquarted at 601 Tallmadge Rd. Kent, OH, The Carter Lumber Company was founded in 1932 by W.E. Carter, along with T. Neil Jones, as the Carter Jones Lumber Company.
During our company’s growth, Carter Lumber maintains hometown values by continuing to operate on the founding principles set down by W.E. Carter: There is nothing more important than hard work, dedication and customer service. Today Carter Lumber remains committed to this philosophy.
Carter Lumber is one of the nation’s top building materials retailers with 146 locations in 12 states. More than just a lumberyard, the Carter Lumber family of companies is dedicated to providing builders and do-it-yourselfers with a broad range of quality building materials and exceptional customer service.
Carter’s mission is to be the number one building materials dealer in every market we service both for our customers and our employees.
Carter Lumber Commercial/Residential Estimators perform material take-offs on residential and commercial buildings. A typical building estimate involves reading an on-screen building plan with its specifications, using Planswift and Professional Estimating software to measure and calculate the materials for Carter Lumber’s Outside Sales Representatives to price and source. Effective communication with the field and internal departments are mandatory for the success of this position.
This position is a full-time corporate office position located at 601 Tallmadge Rd. Kent, OH. Estimators are required to perform the majority of their work in office at their workstation. The exception would be the occasional field visit to a project, or out of office pre-construction meeting.
Qualifications for the Position:
- Skilled in reading both residential and light commercial blueprints and specifications
- Good working knowledge of wood frame construction materials and methods
- Familiar with Pole Building construction
- Excellent communicator while talking with other estimators, builders and salesmen
- Must be a self-starter, organized, and comfortable working within strict deadlines
- Competency in basic mathematics and geometry
- Comfortable with computers and receptive to learning new software
- Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience in Planswift and Professional Estimator or like software preferred but not required.
Duties of the Position:
Perform material take-offs for residential and commercial designs from a variety of blueprints in a timely manner.
Review construction documents and understand material to bid.
Review and fix potential inaccuracies in material lists.
Benefits Provided (full-time employees):
CLICK THIS LINK TO APPLY FOR THE POSITION