Asst. Construction Safety Coordinator Needed
Mr. Excavator is a family owned and operated excavating contractor headquartered in Kirtland, Ohio, with a regional office in Columbus, Ohio. Mr. Excavator is adept at handling all facets of site development and roadwork. We self-perform site demolition, site clearing, mass excavation and utility installations. Mr. Excavator services the commercial, education, healthcare, energy and industrial sectors throughout Ohio and Western Pennsylvania. Mr. Excavator employs union operators and laborers. We provide our workforce with the proper tooling and equipment to perform their work safely and efficiently. Safety is paramount! In addition to providing the proper safety equipment, we also provide our workforce with safety training and monitoring on a continuing basis.
Under the direction of Mr. Excavator, Inc.'s Safety Director, the Assistant Construction Safety Coordinator will assist with providing field services and assisting managers, supervisors, and team members with the implementation of company safety and health policies and procedures. They will provide regulatory compliance with OSHA, DOT, EPA, state and local entities and continual improvement of the overall performance of the company.
• Provide safety oversight for demolition, excavations and trenching, asbestos abatement, and industrial fence installation operations.
• Coordinate, implement and monitor the company safety and health program at various project locations.
• Actively engage with trades workers on safety best practices and taking ownership of our safety program as our front-line safety representatives.
• Provide on the spot training and education to company personnel regarding safety and health requirements.
• Independently initiate, perform, and document safety and health audits, evaluation, inspections and/or behavioral observations throughout the company’s operations.
• Communicate and facilitate the implementation of corrective and preventative actions and/or assign a due date for correction of hazard.
• Assist in the development and implementing strategies for reducing and eliminating injuries, illnesses, and other incidents in a manner that effectively ensures business continuity.
• Participate in project safety meetings to ensure adherence to our Company safety policies and procedures by our workers. Correct our workers if they are identified to be out of compliance. Identify safety concerns that may be overlooked on project safety walks.
• Assist in development of Emergency Action Plans, JHA’s, for projects or JHA’s if the scope of work changes at a jobsite.
• Assist with injury, illness and general liability incident investigations and prepare related reports.
• Able to assist in OUPS incidents and training workers on compliances, reporting utility strikes and identification of OUPS flags or markings. Understand the importance of identifying the underground transmission pipeline markers.
• Identify team members that need assistance, training, coaching, or support meeting the company safety and health requirements.
• Must be able to work on teams and independently with minimal direct supervision.
• Serve as a point of contact for any federal, state, or municipal safety or risk management authority and/or personnel, including but not limited to OSHA, DOT, and the EPA.
• Able to make recommendations for appropriate tools and equipment and to coordinate between superintendents, supply staff and foremen.
• Knowledge of OSHA, DOT, and EPA regulations as well as other state/federal safety regulations.
• Key knowledge points are Trenching and Excavation, OUPS Code, Confined Space, Fall Protection, DOT Requirements Asbestos Abatement and Demolition.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to independently prioritize.
• Ability to think independently, communicate thoroughly and influence the implementation of the appropriate corrective and preventative actions.
• Ability to make independent judgements to manage and facilitate company programs/policies as they relate to the safety of our work.
• Ability to work in a high production environment and respond quickly and effectively under pressure and deadlines.
• Ability to positively interact and influence front line supervisors and field personnel to create a safe work environment.
• Ability to keep sensitive information confidential.
• Three to five years of experience with safety and health experience in construction industry environmental, health and safety operations.
• Associate or Bachelor Degree in Safety, Environmental and Health or equivalent combinations of technical training and experience.
• OSHA 30-Hour Construction (preferred).
• CPR/First Aid/AED certified.
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
• OSHA Authorized Trainer for Construction 10-Hour and 30-Hour Certification a plus.
• OSHA 40 Hour Certification for Hazardous Material Clean-Up Operations a plus.
• Standing and walking for extended periods of time.
• Working conditions indoor and outdoor in all types of weather.
• Ability to see and hear within normal parameters.
• Ability to move about, including climbing ladders, stairs and on uneven surfaces.
• Mr. Excavator, Inc. is a drug free workplace.
Mr. Excavator, Inc. is actively committed to the principals of equal opportunity. We strive to hire and promote the best candidates without regard to race, color, ancestry, genetic information, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
• Multiple locations
Job Type: Full-time
Mr. Excavator offers competitive wage and benefit packages. Individuals interested in this position should submit their resume along with salary history and requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org